Monday 21 April 2008

Volcano Apologises for Botched Eruption

Colombian volcano Nevado de Huila has apologised to vulcanologists for its failure to erupt as promised. The 5 400 metre snow-capped peak pleaded diminished responsibility for the diminished activity which resulted in a lowering of its alert status from red to orange.

“I’m so sorry,” the coy caldera told a gathering of incensed vulcanologists, seismologists, geologists and disaster contingency planners. “I’ve let you all down. I really thought I was going to this time. I could feel the magma building up in my fissures, and I thought: right, this is the big one, I’m gonna blow! But then the evacuations started, and everyone started taking readings and – I don’t know – it just wouldn’t come.”

Thousands were evacuated from the vicinity after the moody mountain instigated a series of minor earthquakes and caused waters to rise slightly in the nearby Magdalena River, suggesting that an eruption was immanent. Scientists felt vindicated by a small shower of ash on April 14, but it proved a flash in the pan.

“I don’t know know what came over me,” blushed the bashful basalt formation, who is said to be devastated by his loss of alert status.

But some geologists were quick to defend the diffident dome.

“It’s not uncommon,” said Doctor Juan María Jueves de Lobo. “With the eyes of the whole world on them, it’s often hard, even for the most magma-filled of mounts, to maintain an eruption – let alone a cone who has been dormant for 500 hundred years. We should all just back off and give it time.”

No comments: